Ok honesty trumps all right now and I have to get something out there. I have a problem with portion control when it comes to holiday food. I always take way too much food because of the excitement to eat fresh carved turkey, fluffy mashed potatoes and douse it all in gravy. But sadly I end up eating way too much and feeling so sluggish and gross after. I'm sure others can relate. I WANT ALL THE HOLIDAY FOOD AND I WANT IT NOW.
But this year i'm on a mission to control myself, and I decided to write this post because I know others struggle with this and need a little kick in the ass to get it the hell together during the holiday season. Here are a few of my tips to only eating until you feel satisfied, but still enjoying grandmas homemade chocolate chip cookies!
- Try to limit the alcohol: Alcohol contains so many empty calories & so much sugar that you could be instead getting from grandmas cookies and not having the embarrassing "oh shit what did I say to Aunt June last night" moment in the morning.
- Drink more water: Water will fill you up not allowing you to feel like there's more room to stuff food in and hydrate you...it's a win win.
- Rule of thirds: 2/3 of your plate should be filled with veggies and starch 1/3 with meat. Take a smaller amount than you think necessary, YOU CAN ALWAYS COME BACK FOR SECONDS, which you won't need to cause your eyes at this point are way bigger than your stomach.
- If you want it, have it...in moderation: If you want a slice of grandmas pie, but also want a cookie, cut the cookie in half, and cut the slice of pie in half. Indulge in both BUT THAT IS IT! Now pick back up the water and keep drinking.
- Don't stress: Thanksgiving or holidays in general are supposed to be a time of celebration with loved ones. Try and stick to everything in moderation but if you over indulge a bit it's ok...It's once a year...keep it all in perspective.
I hope these tips help you guys to have a delicious, happy and bomb.com Thanksgiving with loved ones! Come back tomorrow for my all time favorite indulgence Vanilla Chai Cheesecake Pie!