Truth be told I have never been a real pumpkin lover. I have an aversion to pumpkin pie, will eat pumpkin muffins or bread here and there and run far far away from any sort of pumpkin latte. Given that info who knows why but for some reason these pumpkin bars jumped out at me when curating ideas for fall recipe posts & thank goodness they did! They're so dense, stuffed with all the mix-ins you could think of, & finished off with a hint of maple syrup-y goodness. I mean so good!
Not to mention they have a hefty 3/4 cup of pumpkin folded right into the batter that tastes so fall like & boasts some pretty bomb benefits.
Benefits of Pumpkin:
- loads of fiber
- More potassium than a banana
- Solid source of vitamin C
These little hunks of goodness can be snacked on mid day, to hold you over between lunch and dinner, and my personal favorite before or after that morning workout. I was really in the mood for a quick pre/post workout snack and adding the protein powder into these came in super handy. Side note: These are super light on the sugar only using 1/4 cup of maple syrup into the batter so these are meant to be a healthy snack rather than a sweet treat :).
Ok enough of me chatting away about them, give them a try and let me know what you think, here or over on Insta.
- 2 1/4 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 1/14 Tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1.4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons peanut butter/ almond butter
- 1/2 cup desired mix-ins: I used craisins, mini dark chocolate chips & chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & lightly coat 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray (I used coconut oil)
- In large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & salt
- In separate bowl whisk together pumpkin, milk, egg, maple syrup & peanut butter until smooth
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients & stir by hand, just until combined, fold in any mix ins
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top w/ rubber spatula.
- Bake until golden and fork comes out clean 20-25 mins.
Looking for another festive fall recipe? Check out my Crockpot Beef Ragu.