I have been on a serious Mexican food kick lately. Taco Tuesday has become a staple in our house, & i'm not complaining one bit. Tacos are so easy to prepare and leave delicious left overs for lunch/ dinner meals. Also they give you just enough protein from the meat of choice, greens from the lettuce topping, good fats from guacamole or avocado, & a perfect helping of starch from the beans/ rice. But! sometimes i'm just not feeling like preparing all of the taco sides, beans & rice so I thought of an easy way to cook up my favorite spicy food while I essentially did nothing, & let this delicious dinner cook. Crockpot Enchilada Chicken & Rice.
You throw the beans, chicken, salsa, tomatoes, & seasonings into one pot and they cook right up basically leaving you with a preprepared taco bowl ready for you. Top with cheese and some avo. and you're set!
Spicy, filling & makes lots of left overs...Perfect.
You pay an entrance fee of $35 and they send you specific ingredients they have chosen for all of the entrants (food bloggers specifically). Every person has the same ingredients that are split into 4 different weeks and 4 different categories & each week is a competition between the bloggers to see who can create the best recipe out of the ingredients provided.
So let me break it down. Week ones category was Family and the ingredients were bean soup blend, maple water & dried red chili peppers. Which I used to create this Enchilada Chicken & Rice recipe!
Week two's category is Diversity and the ingredients are black and white rice blend, rice noodles & rice paper.
Week three's category is Community and the ingredients are tapioca starch, Jackson's Honest Chips & a spice pouch.
Finally week four's category is Love and the ingredients are dark chocolate powder, jalapeño lime salt & walnuts.
How fun does that sound! Also super exciting my recipe for week 1 was chosen as the winner!! So thank you to everyone that liked my recipe on Progressive Nectars Instagram & stay tuned for the recipes to follow!
Blissfully Lively Enchilada Chicken & Rice Recipe
- 1 lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bag of bean soup blend
- 1 bottle of Maple Water
- 4 whole dried red chili peppers
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can sweet corn, drained & rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, drained & rinsed
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup of jasmine rice
- Pour dried beans into pot, add water just an inch above line of beans.
- Cook on medium high heat until boiling. Once boiling turn heat to low and simmer for 1-3 hours, until beans are tender.
- When beans are tender take off stove, strain and rinse. Set aside.
- In small bowl mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, oregano & cumin to create the seasoning mix.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch squares. Spray crockpot with coconut oil and place chicken inside.
- Add in corn, black beans, tomatoes, maple water, chili peppers & seasoning mix.
- Add in 1 can enchilada sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours.
- Once done stir in bean soup blend.
- Cook jasmine rice according to directions on package.