Creamy Tomato & Spinach Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional, I did not add)
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 box of penne pasta
- 1/2 bag (4 oz.) fresh spinach
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, add the pasta and cook until tender (7-10 minutes). Drain.
- While waiting for pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince garlic. Cook both in a Large skillet with the olive oil over medium- low (i did more medium) heat until softened and transparent (5 minutes, mine took about 8).
- Add the diced tomatoes (with juice), oregano, basil, red pepper flakes (optional), salt, and freshly cracked pepper to the onions and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomato paste and a 1/2 cup of water to the skillet and stir until the tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to low, cut the cream cheese into a few pieces and then add them to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Use a whisk (I used a fork) to stir the sauce until the cream cheese has fully melted in and the sauce is creamy.
- Add the fresh spinach and gently stir it into the sauce until it had wilted (3-5 minutes). Add the pasta and stir until it is well coated in the creamy tomato sauce.
- Set the pasta/ sauce mixture aside, and begin cooking the chicken in separate skillet.
- Cook chicken on Medium heat until white in center. (4 minutes on each side).
- Cut up chicken and add to tomato sauce in skillet.
- Mix in chicken, on medium heat until warm.